Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Book Report

At the risk of repeating myself for the thousandth time, I absolutely love to read. Especially during the summer, I find myself flying through books. It's just the most ideal time to read, you (hopefully) have plenty of down time at either the beach or the pool, and my shows aren't on so it provides me with the entertainment I'm lacking. One of my favorite posts to read is other bloggers recommendations on novels so I thought I would share with you a little feedback on the books I have read lately. (Also get the app Goodreads, it's fantastic). 

Like everyone else in the world, I read the Hunger Games trilogy. My friends from college all recommended them to me and at first I was very hesitant, they just aren't really my style, but ended up loving them. I'm not usually into fantasy, sci fy, or futuristic entertainment. I pride myself on never having read (or seen) anything with Harry Potter in it. But I did get suckered into the Twilight series, mainly for the love triangle, which is what drew me to the Hunger Games, as well. I thought the premise was extremely depressing but was unique so I gave it a shot. Well, like I said, I really enjoyed them. Even if you don't think they're for you, I would give them a shot! 



After those I read Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares. I, also read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (can you tell I like series?) in high school. I liked them, but wasn't nearly as into them as I was their competitor Gossip Girl. But never the less, I did like the storyline so when I saw the fifth installation in Barnes and Noble I atleast had to read the premise. I wasn't expecting to be interested, considering the fact that I read the last book probably six or seven years ago, but this story followed the girls ten years later. It was about their lives as adults and how their friendship had changed. There is a mystery that follows the span of the novel and I was surprisingly very interested. I definitely recommend this one! (I would even go as far as to say it stands on it's own very well, so you don't necessarily have had to read the previous four.) 



Following that I read Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan. I have mixed feelings on this one. A few of my friends read it a few summers back and liked it and had recommended it to me so I bought it when I wasn't drawn to anything else in the book store. I think it was cute, it's about the friendship of four very different girls who meet at Smith College (an all girls school) and their lives. I do have to point out that there is very little actual plot in the story. It's just kind of about their lives. It does pick up at the end but it still isn't great and the ending fell very short. I don't have too many negative things to say about it, but similarly I have very few good qualities to note. 



After Commencement I read Bond Girl by Erin Duffy. Now this is a book I honestly could not put down! I absolutely loved it!! I had read a positive review on this one on another blog so I put it on my "to read" list. It's about a young 20 something who lives in New York City and works as a trader on Wall Street, an obviously male dominated profession. It follows her life (and obviously romances) for about a year and a half. Since I'm planning on moving to New York in the near future I was fascinated to read about the culture of Wall Street and what dating life is like in the city. This is definitely a must read! 



Finally, I'm almost finished Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby. This is another one I'm not wild about. It's about 300 pages and it's taken me over a week to get through, if that's any indication of how not into this book I am. It's a British novel about a girl who has a serious boyfriend for over two years and gets dumped via facebook. I thought it was going to be cute and funny, but it's actually kind of like watching a train wreck. The heroine is completely psychotic and unrelateable (she spends a thousand pounds to talk to a psychic cat). I'm struggling to get through this one but I'm determined to finish it so that I can move on to...



Where We Belong by Emily Giffin. Emily is my absolute favorite author (Jodi Piccoult isn't far behind), 


I have read Something Borrowed and Heart of the Matter several times (but Something Blue has to be my favorite). I've been eagerly awaiting this books arrival and cannot wait to dive into it. You'll be the first to know my opinion! 


I'm curious to know, have any books you have to recommend? What are you reading now?


5 comments:

  1. Emily Giffin is my all time favorite author! I can't put her books down! Love the one your with is my fav! Great post! xoxo

    suchgoodstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she the greatest?! Ah that one is so good too! Honestly, can't put any of her stuff down

      Delete
  2. I am a huge book fanatic! All of my books are packed away in storage though since I am at university but some books that I really enjoyed off the top of my head were:
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime: Mark Haddon (This book was so good and I couldn't put it down)
    Dear John: Nicholas Sparks
    Ah I can't remember any more right off the top of my head but I really enjoyed those two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Dear John, Nicolas Sparks is a wonderful writer! I'll have to check out The Curious Incident of the Dog, thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. If you love Emily Giffin's books, you'll probably really like Beth Harbison's books!! I love her writing style, and all her books deal with relationships & friendships. They're super fun, easy beach reads :)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs