Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sales

I'm just curious, am I the only one who finds it virtually impossible to pass up a sale? Any kind of deal and I feel some sort of physical compulsion to buy something. I know, I know...I should probably see someone about this. But I ultimately end up buying things I probably (most certainly) did not need (please refer back to my shopping addiction in general). I guess it's the only competitive bone in my body (never much was one in the sports arena), but I simply can't let someone else snag something I  want (can you tell I'm an only child?)...I'm an advertising exec's dream. 

So basically this time of year is one of my favorites. A great deal of stores are having giant sales. Here are a few guidelines to follow when shopping a sale: 

1. Be smart. They are looking to unload old merchandise to make room for the new so just be aware that new styles will be coming out soon. 

2. Buy what you love right away.  Generally sizes are already picked over because they are trying to move what they have left so if you find something that fits, buy it immediately! 

3. Look for flaws. This is a big one, I generally believe that if it's on sale there's a 80% reason that it's because something is wrong with it (or ugly). Of course there are cases of having too many things in stock (or J.Crew that just puts everything on sale) but most of the time it's because no one else wanted it. Inspect everything closely, look for anything that isn't quite right. 

4. Don't just buy to buy. Even though I'm pulled to a sale like a vacuum, I really only buy something that a seriously good deal and something I love. You can get tricked into thinking something is a good deal when in actuality it really isn't. 

The sales I usually hit at the ones that have a percentage off of this non sale merchandise (J.Crew offers these a lot). Because this way you know the merchandise is still good and you can use it on pretty much anything. (It's the way I rationalize it so I don't feel like a sucker).

Lilly's sale starts today (here's hoping there are no hiccups this time!) 

What are your thoughts on sales? Any tips to share? 

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge sucker for sales. I justify buying things I don't need just because they are on sale. It doesn't help when you have friends in retail that give you Friends and Family discounts!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs