Friday, March 29, 2013

Three Months Down

Not a whole lot to report this month (especially without shopping) but I do have a few book reviews.

Due to the flu, I fell a little behind with my 2 books a month rule so I decided instead of playing catchup all year long, I would make my goal to read 20 books this year (instead of 25).

First I read Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller
It was phenomenal! I literally could not put it down. I'm a huge fan of Jodi's and have read practically everything she's ever written but for the past two years I haven't really been drawn to the premises of her new books. But I read the synopsis and knew I had to read this one. It's about a young baker who develops an unlikely friendship with an elderly man only to find out he was a Nazi. I was fascinated with World War II when I was younger, especially after reading Anne Frank's diary so this book was extremely compelling. It is told in real time and through heartbreaking flashbacks. I highly recommend this one.

After that I started Penelope
I remember seeing this one at Barnes and Nobel over the summer and contemplated purchasing it so when I saw a positive review of it last week I figured I'd give it a shot. It's about a freshman girl at Harvard who is slightly (entirely) socially awkward. It was painful to read. Don't waste your time.

I'm also reading Ten Girls to Watch.
 I identify way too much with the main character (seriously, she actually says things I do). I may not finish this one under the wire, I've just been so tired lately, I fall asleep while reading almost instantaneously. But it's a quick and easy read thus far. It's about an aspiring writer who receives her first "real" job working for Charm Magazine on a feature looking up women featured in past "Ten Girls to Watch" issues. It's very inspirational to read all the women's words of wisdom (even though it's fiction) but if you're a girl in her early or mid twenties there is definitely some sound advice. 

I'll check in at the end of next month to let you know how I'm keeping up with the resolutions- hopefully April will be more exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs