Friday, June 14, 2013

Question- The Dinner by Herman Koch

A few days ago I started reading The Dinner by Herman Koch. I had been wanting to read it for a few months when I first saw a review of it in a magazine comparing it to Gone Girl. And when it was showcased on People.com last week I thought it was time to give it a try. So here is where the dilemma begins, it's awful. I mean I don't think I've found it this difficult to get through a book since I was in high school. I loved Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl and since the premise is supposed to be similar I thought it would really interest me but it's been terrible. 
I'm about a quarter of the way through, and I actually dread reading it but really hate not finishing a book so I've been trying to power through but I'm kind of reaching my limit. Almost every review on Goodreads is that it's great so my question is, to those of you who have read it, is it worth finishing? Will the tempo ever pick up and does the monotony of describing the food diminish? Right now the narrator to be extremely ADD making it hard to follow. Plus being a quarter of the way through, I have yet to see any indication of a plot, other than four people eating dinner. 

I'm ready to completely give up but I just wanted to double check with anyone who has read it, if I should reconsider? 


1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem! I checked it out from the library and just couldn't get into it and so then it was due back and I just took it back. I've heard so many good things about it and how it was similar to Gone Girl but I read Gone Girl in a day and this I just couldn't get in to it! Maybe I should give it another shot..

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs