Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Nine Months Down

It seems that the majority of my monthly posts have grown to be predominately about the books I have read. But I'm pretty much okay with that. Aside from taking a cooking class I have accomplished just about everything on my list (still working to complete my 20 books by 9/31) but other than that everything has been pretty much checked off my list. So I would say this post for the next three months will mainly be a book review of sorts.


Most people judge books by their covers (which I'm totally guilty of) but I judge mine based on their endings. If I like a books ending chances are I tell people I liked the book, even if the majority of it was just mediocre. But if I walk away feeling dissatisfied, I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth. That's how I feel about Defending Jacob. I have to admit the majority of the book was well written and interesting. The plot is about a district attorney who is faced with a moral dilemma when his teenage son is charged with the murder he is working on. The book was so-so, I enjoyed it but wasn't riveted to continue. It definitely wasn't one I couldn't put down...then there was the ending. There was a twist


I also read Little Children by Tom Perrotta. This was so weird. I mean, I actually felt a little uncomfortable reading it. It's about a couple of stay-at-home parents who start an affair when a child molester moves into their neighborhood. It was a suggestion on Goodreads and I thought it sounded juicy, but in actuality it was just strange. Aside from the affair between Todd and Sarah, there wasn't a whole lot that happened. There were a lot of character to keep track of, all with similar names, and the ending was weak. Don't waste your time. I didn't realize when I started it, but it was also made into a movie staring Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson.


After reading a lot of so-so books, and one really painful one (see above) I finally found one I couldn't put down. I decided that after reading a lot of "heavy" books I needed one that was light, so I settles on Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess. I started it briefly over the summer but decided to pick it up again this month and simply couldn't put it down. (I found myself hoping I was early for my subway so I could get in a few extra minutes of reading). The book is told from the perspective of Pia, a recent college graduate who seems to have a flare for messing everything up in her life (in the first chapter alone she sleeps with her roommates brother, has a party so wild it forces her downstairs neighbors ceiling to cave in, and gets fired from her new job). But Pia is determined to turn her life around and after a few failed rounds of starting over, has the amazing idea of starting a "skinny" food truck. It follows her adventures on her new venture, her dating life, and her relationships with her four roommates. I think I really enjoyed it because it resonated with me on so many levels, not only am I starting out in New York but still considering myself "recently out of college" means you're still figuring everything out. The author does a great job of capturing a young girls thought process and the reality early twenty-somethings go through. The best part about this book? It's a series! Not sure when the next one will be out, but I cannot wait!

What books have you read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs