Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Worm

It's no secret that I love to read. (Almost) all year, I've been giving you my reviews of the books I've been checking out and I thought with the holidays coming up, and everyone (hopefully) having a little down time, it might be nice to compile my favorites of the year in case you need a few ideas. I think books are such a wonderful, personal, gift to give even if you're not much of a reader yourself. (I've linked to my original synopsis through the title). 

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 

This book is the definition of a page turner. It was my first book of the year and I actually forced myself to slow down and enjoy it since I was flying through it just to find out what happened next. Honestly, one of the best books I've read in awhile. (Be prepared- it's definitely weird) 

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult 

I'm a huge fan of Jodi's, I've read almost all of her books, but feel like her later work is much better than her earlier material. I took a little hiatus from Picoult's books for a few years because the plots of her most recent novels didn't really interest me, but The Storyteller definitely didn't disappoint. I recommended it to several people and got back mixed reviews, so it might not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. 

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah 

This is a book to read with a box of Kleenex. It's really a heartwarming story and is a very easy read. 

All the Summer Girls by Meg Donohue 

This book is kind of a compilation of all the genres that interest me. It's a little chick-lit-esque but also has a mystery interwoven so it gives the book more substance. 

Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess 

This might be my second favorite book of the year, behind Gone Girl. I think this is a great book for every twenty-something girl (especially if you live in the city). It's extremely well written and is the first installment in a soon to be series of five books. (Think grown up version of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants). 

Columbine by Dave Cullen

This is one book I didn't write a review on but recently finished and it was amazing. It was throughly researched and the details will haunt you long after you finish the book. It's obviously very heavy subject matter but extremely informative. 

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell 

I've heard such wonderful things about Gladwell's books and after seeing an interview with him I was fascinated by his plots. This is his first and while the subject matter isn't as exciting to me as some of his later works, he brings up some extremely interesting points. I'm only half way finished but I've really enjoyed it thus far. 

I'm two books shy of my goal for the year and am desperate for any suggestions! So if you read anything you loved this year, please pass along a suggestion. 

1 comment:

  1. Gone Girl was definitely my favorite book of 2013. So excited to see how the movie stacks up! And I loved Firefly Lane as well, more than I thought I would. Have you read the follow up? Brooklyn Girls is on my list- I've heard great reviews and hope it's as good as everyone says it is!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs