Thursday, January 30, 2014

January Book Review

One of my favorite things to do is to discuss books that I've just finished so I figured I would bore all of you with my monthly synopsis of the works I've just completed. 

Since I technically finished my 20th book just after the cut off of last year so Goodreads is considering Are Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling my first book of 2014. I have to be honest that I have mixed feelings on this book. I'm a huge fan of Mindy's, The Mindy Project is one of my favorite shoes and I find her hysterical whenever I see her interviewed but after just completing Tina Fey's Bossypants I felt that this one definitely fell short. I enjoyed reading about her time as a writer for The Office (I had no idea she held such a coveted position on the show since her character was so minor) and did find her relationship stories and advice funny, but felt that it read more like a scattered conversation between friends. Tina is, in my opinion, the godfather (godmother?) of female comedians so it's probably not a fair comparison but Fey's book was laugh out loud funny and offered tons of applicable advice, whereas Mindy's book was more just a compilation of stories. All in all I don't regret reading it, it was funny and light but if you're looking for a book in this genre I'd go with Bossypants.

In November I read These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen and really liked it. The story lines, for the most part, were really juicy and I related a great deal to young twenty-something's living in the city. I also enjoyed her writing style so I knew I want to give another book of hers a try. The Best of Us is her latest novel about four college friends who go on a dream vacation, with their spouses, for one of the friend's birthdays. Of course, all of the couples are facing uniques struggles and a great deal of strife occurs when the group reunites. If nothing else, this book makes you want to book a flight to Jamaica immediately. I highly recommend this one.

Finally, my friend (shout out to Carly!) recommended I read The Husband's Secret. I had heard tons of people talking about it and had read the synopsis a few times but for some reason I wasn't immediately drawn to the book (I think I, mistakenly, assumed that I knew what was going to happen). This is one of the best books I've read in awhile! The story is about three different women and how their lives intersect when one woman finds a letter from her husband addressed to her in the event of his death. I have to admit I was a little bored in the beginning, you don't find out what the letter contains until 200 pages in, and being my impatient self I was getting restless. I confess that I tried to look up spoilers for the book probably three separate time in the first two days I was reading it but luckily couldn't find what I was looking for. I did put the pieces together a little earlier but the best part is what happens after you find out what the secret is. It's rare for me to like a book in which, when completed, I dislike two of the main characters, but with every twist and turn I was riveted. Also, the best epilogue I've ever read! You HAVE to read this one! 

An suggestions on what to read next? Have you read any of these books? 

2 comments:

  1. The only one I've read out of these was Mindy's book. I haven't read Bossypants, so maybe that's why my view on it is different, but I really liked it! I felt like she was a girlfriend at brunch talking to her friends, which made it a easy, funny, and (somewhat) relate-able read! I will definitely be picking up Bossypants soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! Have you read the Nancy Martin Blackbird Mystery series? My mom got me hooked over break and I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs