Friday, March 21, 2014

Dress My Nest

One of my New Years Resolutions was to focus more on items for my apartment. It seems like such a simple task, but between three trips and way too many additions to my closet, I've yet to add one item to my apartment. One of the biggest challenges is that my roommate and I have extremely different taste. She and I lived together all four years in college so we have this cohabitation thing down to a science, but our personal styles couldn't be further apart. She and I have spent a great deal of time trying to compromise on furniture and accessories. Here are some of the pieces on my list 

Furniture:

Ikea Hemnes 8-Drawer Dresser: I'm a fan of this one because of how simple and streamlined it is plus it provides massive amounts of storage 


Isala Cabinat: My roommate is a yoga instructor which means we have tons of yoga mats around our apartment and are constantly looking for something in which to store them. I think this would be the perfect place

Lighting:


Arstid Wall Lamps: I'm embarrassed to say that the photograph that I purchased before my big move is still at my parents home in Baltimore. I got it framed and matted right before I moved and it has yet to make it up to the city. But once I hang that above my couch I want some wall lighting on either side and these are exactly what I'm looking for. Plus, you can't beat that price! 

I am a fan on Ikea furniture manly because, on a Manhattan budget, there isn't a whole lot else that I can afford. But it is important to realize, when buying things from Ikea, that you are sacrificing a bit of quality. So make sure that if you do decide on their furniture that you're selecting pieces that get a little less love so they will last longer. It's better to splurge on pieces that you will use a lot- a lot like with your closet. I also think it's important to mix the inexpensive with some pieces of higher price points. This way you don't even notice some of it came from Ikea!  

Wallart:




Since my roommate and I have such drastically different design taste, white is the best compromise. It's also my personal favorite because it allows the accessories to do that talking. I love pops of color and I think they're much more effective against a basic backdrop. 

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these! White is so feminine, I love white furniture, but my fiance hates it haha!

    :)

    AJ | www.TheAJMinute.com

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs