Thursday, June 19, 2014

The One and Only Review

So here's the deal, I just finished Emily Giffin's new book The One and Only. You may recall, Emily is one of, if not my favorite author. I consider at least four of her seven works to be amongst my favorite books of all time so I'm always excited when a new one is released. I have to admit that I wasn't initially sold on the synopsis but since it was by Emily I knew I most likely wouldn't be disappointed. It took be two weeks to finish, which is pretty slow for me, mainly because initially I was trying to savor it but found myself losing interest along the way. Even after having finishing, I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it. 


The premise is of a young woman, Shea developing feelings for her best friends, recently widowed, father who is twenty+ years her senior. Giffin usually has a knack for making you feel empathy, or at least be able to identify slightly, with her flawed characters. But I just couldn't understand Shea. I found her to be incredibly whiny and selfish. Perhaps it also had to do with the fact that I couldn't really understand the attraction to Coach, aside from his George Clooney good-looks. He seemed dull and way too mature for Shea's antics (not to mention the incredibly icky factor that he essentially raised Shea). The book was also rather long for what transpired, I feel like Giffin definitely could have condensed it considerably, I feel like it was just filled with a lot of white noise. I just think she pushed the envelope a little too far with this one and I have to say it definitely wasn't a favorite of mine. 

I know it will definitely be on everyone's summer reading lists but feel the need to pre-warn you to enter with lower expectations than normal. Also, prepare yourself for a plethora of useless college football knowledge. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the book, if you've finished it! 

2 comments:

  1. I am currently reading this and having trouble keeping interest as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this at the beach and didn't enjoy certain parts, but I did like the book overall! Not my favorite Emily Giffin book, but still a good beach read.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs