Wednesday, July 30, 2014

City Spots: Breakfast at Bendel's

Audrey had Tiffany's and I have Bendel's.


I have decided to do a little ongoing series, about some of my favorite spots in the city and I absolutely couldn't think of a more appropriate place to begin. Henri Bendel's is located on 56th and 5th Ave. and is seriously my mecca. One of my favorite lines from Breakfast at Tiffany's is "The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of…Well when I get that feeling the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. The quietness and the proud look of it, nothing very bad could ever happen to you there". That's exactly how I feel about Bendel's. Even when I would come to the city to visit friends I would always carve out time to stop in. I can't really articulate exactly what it is about this particular department store, as opposed to the countless other gems here, but there is something so welcoming and comforting about Bendel's. I could spend hours and hours looking at their gorgeous jewelry and accessory collections. (Even though, I still do long for the days when they sold clothing).


This past weekend my wonderful Momma came to visit and after spending way too much time in the heaven that is Bergdorf's we popped in Bendel's. We were simultaneously met with some fantastic
and tragic news. Bendel's is closing their second floor and getting rid of all their third party merchandise (but in an effort to move their inventory they were offering 70% off). I know it sounds silly but it really makes me sad, Bendel's is the place I go if I ever feel home sick, or if I'm having a bad day, or just want to fill a lazy afternoon. Not to mention the fact that it was my go-to for unique jewelry. It was one of the first places that made me fall in love with New York when I was a little girl so to see it change is a little upsetting. 





I am excited for their new, purely Henri Bendel merchandise, phase. But I will miss having a place to scour for one-of-a-kind (esque) pieces. 

Where's your all time favorite place in Manhattan? 

3 comments:

  1. I have never been to Bendel's. I'm sorry to hear that it's changing! I know the feeling of just feeling "at home" in a certain store. I have my favorites that I could just get lost in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I am sad to hear the news! But I love wondering through when Im in New York. Just love it there.

    bmorepreppy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh I'm sorry! That is so upsetting.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs