Monday, July 14, 2014

June Book Review

For awhile I felt like I was in a reading rut. There were very few new releases that peaked my interest and there was nothing left on my "to-read" list that jumped out at me. But with summer comes new books so now I'm voraciously reading to get to all of them!


I was all set to read This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (if you haven't seen the trailer for the movie yet, check it out- it looks hilarious!) when I stumbled upon The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. I remember reading her essay, by the same name, last year and was so amazed at how well she summarized the uncertainty college graduates feel and the daunting task of starting the life you actually want to lead . Marina wrote the essay for The Yale Daily News as her parting piece in 2012, when graduated magma cum laude. Keegan was already an extremely accomplished young woman, having written a play that was in production at the New York International Fringe Festival and securing a job at The New Yorker, when her life was tragically cut short a week after graduation.

After her death her family decided to create an anthology of her work to share. I'm not usually a fan on short stories, but her writing is so captivating you don't want to stop reading. However, the most amazing part was the compilation of her nonfiction essays. She truly had a gift. It's a quick and easy read and is the perfect thing to pick up and put Dow , or read simultaneously with another book. It will definitely leave a lasting impact.


This Is Where I Leave You got pushed even further down my list (I'm reading it now and am obsessed) when I saw a Goodreads Suggestion for If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I initially saw that this was being made into a movie as well and thought the premise was so interesting that I had to read it. The story revolves around Mia, a high school senior who has just recently been accepted into Juilliard, and the decision she is forced to make after she, along with her entire family, get into a terrible car accident. Mia's family is killed on impact, while Mia's body is rushed to shock trauma, all the while Mia's soul (for lack of a better explanation) is trapped in a sort of limbo state watching the events transpire. Eventually Mia learns that it is up to her whether she chooses to live out her dreams and be with her first true love, or die and remain with her family. I think this book is technically a "young adult" novel, it's incredibly short, but it's well writen and so interesting. There is also a sequel.   If you're looking for a quick, easy read, this is a great option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs