Thursday, July 31, 2014

Summer Hairstyle #1: Fishtail Braid

I'm kind of ridiculous when it comes to my hair. I'm religious about washing it every. single. night. (and spare me the lecture on how that dries out my hair) and then blow it out. I've perfected my blowout and have gotten it down to thirty minutes of less (regardless of what my roommate or other friends will tell you). But during the summer I wonder what's the point? Since my routine does take so long, and I'm far from a morning person, I'm forced to do it at night. So if my hair survives my nights of tossing it lasts all of 10 minutes until I walk outside into the wall of humidity. 

Even though I can only recall one day in which I went to work with my hair only partially natural, I think it's important to have some cute hairstyles in your arsenal for when it's just too hot to wear your hear down. 

My first go-to is a fishtail braid. For the longest time I was too intimidated to even attempt to learn, but after watching my friends do it so effortlessly I was determined to try. I watched a few videos on youtube and finally got the hang of it. 

Like with all braiding, semi-wet hair is optimal because it helps the hair stay in place, but as you can see from my tutorial, it isn't imperative. 

First start with a low ponytail. 

Separate the ponytail into two equal sections. 

Take one strand from side one (in my case, the left) and move it over to side two. 

Repeat this step on side two. 

Continue until you reach the bottom of your hair. Secure with an elastic and remove the initial hair tie. 

In case my photos are confusing, check out Lauren Conrad's video below: 


Do you rock the fishtail braid? 

5 comments:

  1. This is an adorable summer hairstyle! I learned to fish tail last year, but then I cut my hair for locks of love. It's finally just long enough to fish tail again, and I'm so excited about that! I too wash my hair religiously every day, I can't not wash it.

    xoxo
    mQs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look! I haven't ever tried it but this makes it seem so simple. I think I will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial, I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I really want to learn how to fishtail braid

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fish tail braids! However, I need a friend to help me out, haha
    Great post!
    xo,
    Amanda
    www.affordablebyamanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs