Monday, November 3, 2014

October Book Review

The Happiness Project
By: Gretchen Rubin

I had started and stopped Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project more times than I care to admit. For some reason, I could never seem to get into it. But a few weeks ago, on a particularly low Saturday, I decided to give it one last try. Similar to when I finally read Eat, Pray, Love, I tend to identify with , and enjoy, these types books much more when I'm in a particular head space. The first few times I attempted this book, I felt that Rubin was being too dramatic, since she appeared to have a pretty wonderful life, before I realized that was the relatable part. Of course, Elizabeth Gilbert's story was so captivating because of her complete renovation of her entire life, but Rubin's approach was much more identifiable. Most of us, also, have fantastic lives, but are not gaining the amount of joy we should out of them.

Gretchen's story inspired me to look at life differently, and to incorporate so many of her simple, yet significant, resolutions into my routine. I no longer put off a task that takes less than a minute to complete (i.e. hanging up my jacket when I walk in the door). I try to tackle a "nagging task" as often as I can (i.e. I completely cleaned out my closet). Of course some weren't directly applicable to my life, such as the marriage advice, but her tips were always useful and her approach was unique. I highly recommend this if you're looking to appreciate your life more.

Not That Kind of Girl 
By: Lena Dunham

I'm a huge Lena Dunham fan. I think she is a comedic genius and has talent beyond her years so when I heard that she was coming out with a book I was thrilled. The title sat on my "to-read" list for months until it was finally released this month. I devoured this book, and caught myself laughing out loud on the subway more than a few times. Along the same lines as Bossypants by Tin Fey and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kahling, it is a brief glimpse of the life of Dunham. Her chapters on dating and ultimately finding love were so relatable to a twenty-something navigating that scene in Manhattan (I guess it's no surprise why Girls is such a huge hit). Dunham tackles everything from losing her virginity, to battling her weight, to writing her first web series with three of her closest friends. If you haven't done so already, stop on your way home tonight and purchase this book. I promise you won't regret it!

Any reads to suggest? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs