Monday, February 9, 2015

January Book Review

Curious why I never wrote a November or December book review (who am I kidding, no one even noticed) well it's because of this book:

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult 
Let me begin by saying that I love Jodi Picoult's body of work. I've read almost everything she's published and would say that I found myself unable to put down 90% of them (steer clear of Picture Perfect). However, unfortuately this one lacked that special spark that most of her novels nail. First off it was way longer than it needed to be which left me unmotivated to finish several times. Picoult almost always uses an extended metaphors in her works but this time, while I did find the elephant facts captivating, ended up taking over the narrative. In the end it more closely resembled a high school text book than a work of fiction.

But perhaps the greatest flaw was that the premise had be tackled, and executed so well, in several recent hits which just reiterated the vast gap between this book and those. Boiling it down to the main points, a mother disappears after a tragedy on an elephant reserve and her teenage daughter has spent her entire life obsessed with finding out what happened to her (hello Where'd You Go Burnedette). I was surprised by Picoult's standard twist ending which left me slightly more satisfied but otherwise I would recommend skipping it. It's just not her best. 

The Andy Cohen Diaries
Full disclosure, Bravo is my guilty pleasure. Rarely does a Saturday go by without me dedicating an hour to catch up on the latest Vanderpump Rules (Kristen is the most delusional person on the planet, but I digress) and it's virtually impossible for me to casually scroll past a Housewives marathon. So it goes without saying that Andy Cohen is equivalent to the messiah in my apartment. As soon as I read that he was releasing a new book that catalogued a year of dinner with Sarah Jessica Parker, plane rides with Madonna and selecting the perfect selfie to text Cher, that I knew I had to read it.

Inspired by Andy Warhol's Diaries, Cohen decided to allow the masses into his daily routine, love affair with his dog, and social circle of some of the biggest (and I would imagine some of the most fun) people in show business. It's the perfect book to read on a subway commute in the morning since there are organic stopping points imposed.

Any good book recommendations? 

2 comments:

  1. Bravo is my guilty pleasure as well - I need to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read the new Jodi Picoult book...maybe over spring break!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs