Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Club: Yes Please

Some people worship Jesus, others Allah, most Beyonce, but for me it's comedians. As far back as I can remember, I've been a comedy dork. I can more vividly remember where I was during particular sketches of Saturday Night Live, than I can my junior year sorority formal (there may be an explanation for that, but nonetheless). Amy Schumer and Mother Theresa are pretty much on par in my book. And I challenge anyone to attempt to stump me on Tonight Show, or Late Night, trivia. 


As with every profession, certain people rise to the top and become the face of that vocation. Technology had Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, Republicans get Donald Trump, and then there's  Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Tina and Amy are the Siegfried and Roy of comedy. They're a dynamic duo that is always one misstep away from being mauled by a tiger. Tina Fey's autobiography Bossypants continues to be one of my favorite books I've ever read, so you can imagine the hole in my heart that grew three sizes the day I completed her literary contribution. Thank goodness her soul sister decided to regale us with more stories of Weekend Update shenanigans, the challenges of writing a sitcom, and the insanity of being a mother. If you loved Bossypants as much as I did, you need to pick up Poehler's book. It won't disappoint 



1 comment:

  1. I've had this book on my list for a while now, but I never actually picked it up or started reading it. I have Bossypants on my shelf, so maybe I'll start with that and read Yes, Please next!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs