Monday, August 31, 2015

Carrie Bradshaw Lied


Every girl who has ever watched Sex and the City (as religiously as I did) would be lying if she said she didn't indulge in the fantasy of moving to Manhattan and living a life filled with men, Manolos and massive apartments. When I moved to New York exactly two years ago today, I too had visions of rooftop BBQ's, walk-in-closets, and my very own gay best friend. But what I have come to realized in the 24 months that I have inhabited this exquisite island is that my idol lied to me. As the only meaningful anniversary in my life began to approach I decided against penning another love letter to my favorite place on earth and instead highlight some of the misconceptions our dear Carrie Bradshaw perpetuated. (Check out Harpers Bazarr's article on the same topic).

You won't bump into your Mr. Big on the street.

"Just tell me I'm the one"
Dating in this city is one of the worlds greatest mysteries, like whether the Mona Lisa is smiling or what happened to Amelia Earhart. The boys that live here are intelligent, ambitions, successful and insanely handsome. They are also incredibly spoiled. They are used to getting what they want, when they want it. If you've ever wondered what happens to those frat boys you loved so much in college, after they graduate, they move to New York. 

Your rent won't be $750 a month. 

"Delia, I ask you, how can this apartment be $2800 a month? I pay $750 for something twice the size, and it don't smell like takeout"
A little piece of my soul dies every time I hear what my friends pay in rent in other cities. Newsflash, New York is expensive. The biggest expense you will have will be rent. You'll become fluent in a new  language with words like "partial walls" and "half fridges", yet you'll still pay triple the cost. But don't worry, you won't spend too much time in your apartment.

Those Manolos...

"I spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lives in her shoes"
And since you'll be signing over your first born to pay your rent, you won't be able to afford all those shoes. Concessions will be made and I can personally attest to the fact that your wardrobe will be better than ever, it just might not contain every big designer. 

Having said all of that, I can also assure you that at the heart of that show was truth. There will be
best friends and late night diner runs. There will be comically bad blind dates. There will be an exorbitant amount of cocktails. There will be a profound love for a city. And every day will be the greatest adventure of your life. It may not look exactly like Carrie's life but at the end of the day "the most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well that's just fabulous" 

Thank you for the best two years of my life, NYC. Here's to many more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs